
my friends and family know this already, but i have had a rough time lately. last year was a really hard one. dave and i had many challenges to overcome. dave's father passed away unexpectedly ten days before our wedding, a month later i lost my grandpa ward, and it seemed like i lost my dad all over again. things were kind of tough for us and then in October we learned we were pregnant. oh, the joy we felt. i don't think i have ever seen dave more excited about anything. then two weeks before christmas we lost our baby. i remember talking with dave about what a tough year it had been for us. i also remember thinking that the coming year would be better. it felt like we had been through so much. here we are a year later, and i am still struggling...my health has really deteriorated. i am not responding well to the fertility medication that i am on and the past couple of weeks i have felt so depressed. it has been a long time since i have been so discouraged. i feel worse lately than i felt right after we lost the baby. it seems like i am past the point of growing and learning and using this situation to help me become more compassionate and loving...now i just feel jaded, angry and despondent. at least that is how i have felt the last few weeks. today was a really hard day for me. a woman i work with walked past my desk today and said in passing, "you sure don't look like that(referring to a picture i have on my desk of dave and i at our wedding) anymore" and then she just laughed like she was the funniest person alive. this is a woman who is so unhappy with work, a woman that i had hugged in the elevator less than a week ago because she was in tears...this was the last straw. i just needed to get out and take a break. i asked my co-worker if it was cold outside because she had walked down the street to get a drink from the grocery store and she said that she was very chilly even while wearing her coat...i decided i would brave the dark and cold weather anyway. i left for my lunch break and drove up to my dad's grave. they have put my grandpa ward's headstone up finally, it looks really good. as soon as i got out of my car i broke down in tears. as soon as i sat down, the clouds broke and out came the sun. it felt like it was shining only on me. it was such an incredible experience for me. i sat and talked to my dad for the better part of an hour and i was warm and comfortable because the whole time the sun was shining directly on me. i really felt my dad with me. i think that is why i stayed there so long...i felt so much peace, peace i haven't felt even though i have really strived and yearned for it...even though my dad is no longer living, i could feel his love and it was just what i needed. it made me feel like even when things seem dark and cold, you never know when the sun will suddenly be shining on you. i know that is a pretty simple metaphor, but it was such a sweet experience for me and i will always remember and cherish it.
**the picture above was not taken by me today, but that is really what it felt like**
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
when life seems dark and cold...
Posted by pinkmorning at 5:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
beautiful. you are (even though you may not think so) one of the strongest, most sincere, and beautiful-on-the-inside women that I have ever "met." I hate to say that I know how you're feeling, because I don't to that extent, but I have also been feeling so discouraged and just plain gloomy lately. It's so wonderful to have understanding in fellow women... I'm praying for you so much Julie. I can't wait until you get your sweet baby. You will.
Julie you had me really choked up at the end of this post. Do not let someone unhappy with their life ruin yours (co-worker).
It is awesome that you found comfort speaking with your dad today. Thanks for inspiring me with your strengths!
Thank you for posting about you. This is you and you are strong. Heavenly Father has us in his hands and when we start to doubt, the clouds will part and he will be there. I went visiting teaching tonight and one of my girls is really struggling with fertility and I want you to know that I let her know that she is not alone - it is a hard lonely road - it is trust, love, and strength that will carry you through!
Jules. This post left me in tears. I am so sorry for the struggles that you ahve experienced, and I wish that there was something that I could do or say to alleviate your pain. I hope you know that I cherish our sisterhood and feel that our relationship will continue to be a cornerstone in my life. I am happy tha tyou found solice at Dad's grave and I have no doubt that he was there wrapping his arms around you. You are not forgotten. I love you.
Yes, you also made me cry!
Like Rachel, I wish I could say something to make you feel better.
This road you have traveled on will only lead you to somewhere you're supposed to be.
I too believe that you will get your little one soon.
As discouraging as it may seem right now, you really are growing from these experiences.
You are not alone girl! We all love you and we're all here for you!
And WHO SAYS THAT anyway?? "You sure don't look like that now!" Um, well you're not going to look like you do now either after I get done slappin you upside the head!
Some people have NO tact.
sorry you are feeling this way, but remember when it's cold out you can always cuddle with your husband. i love you!
Wow! This was a beautiful, beautiful post filled with hope. Hang in there!
girlie- i am sorry that you are hurting so much. this is the hardest road to travel. i don't know when or how but you will get to be a mom & dave a dad.
sometimes it would be so nice to look 5 years into the future and just take a peek at what is to come...
you will be blessed for your strength- and julie you have got a great amount of strength, sometimes it's just too hard to see it in ourselves.
Julie-
You are one of the most amazing women I know. I don't know why things have to be so difficult but someday down the road it will make sense. The hard part is getting through it. Just know that I think the world of you and I know that you can do it!! Great things are in store for you girl!
Oh Julie, I am sobbing right now. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful experience that you had today. I am glad you felt the comfort of Dad's presence. I too have a moment that I remember so clearly about our dad. I was at home in Bakersfield in my kitchen. Clark was just itty bitty and the stress of it all had caused an upset between me and Scott. I walked into the kitchen and didn't turn on the light. I just sat there and cried. Then, suddenly, I felt dad there with me. So much so, that I softly said his name and almost expected a reply. It was such a comfort to me during a time of great difficulty.
I am glad you got a glimpse of sunshine today! We will have to have lots of fun this coming week to take your mind off all the hard things you have been going through.
BTW, I love you!
Oh ya, and you should have punched that lady at work in the face!
J - I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience with your Dad and that you were feeling at peace. I definitely believe that though our loved ones are gone, they never really leave us. *HUGS* sweetie. 2008 is going to be a great year for you and Dave!
~Nikki
I'm so glad you had this amazing experience (imagine how happy your dad is to hear about the pregnancy--he probably knew what was coming that difficult day).
And I sympathize with that depression that can last long enough to leave you a little jaded. I've felt the same way lately and am sad that my blog seems to be reflecting that negativity. I'm trying to get away from that though. Your blog inspires me.
Post a Comment