Monday, October 20, 2008

rainy days and mondays

oh, today was a monday. i love weekends. whether we go out or stay in, hang out with friends/family or by ourselves, have exciting dates or deep-cleaning sprees, i just love the weekends. i always struggle on mondays. it is the beginning of a whole week without dave around during the day. i am glad i get to stay home with audrey but sometimes i get lonely and bored. there are days when dave says goodbye in the mornings that i feel a twinge of jealousy that he is going to be surrounded by other adults. today was like that. audrey took a three hour nap and i was going insane. she usually sleeps for about 45 minutes when she naps so i was ready for the day and staring at nothing for a long time. today i refused to turn on the television. there is nothing good on during the day. i think daytime television steals a little bit of your soul each time you watch it. okay, i'm kidding, kind of. seriously though, doesn't it?

anyway, by the time she woke up i was more than ready for an outing. i just needed to get out, to breathe some fresh air. we went to the grocery store and purchased a few things and then we went to the post office to put a few cards in the mail, then headed over to look at some new hair bows for the princess. i can't get enough of them. i literally want to buy every one i see in every color (damn you quilted bear) but i hold strong and only purchase four. then we went to another little shop to look for clothes for her and then we headed home. when we got home i fed audrey a bottle, burped her, changed her and played with her a while and then i put her in her swing. then i looked at the clock. over an hour until dave gets home...seriously?

i was chatting with a friend today through facebook. we are both moms to new babies and learning the ropes. it was interesting because i think moms that work are (at least sometimes) jealous of stay at home moms because they are home with their babies but it has been interesting to me because i find myself a little jealous (sometimes) of working moms. it has been an adjustment for me since i quit my job to learn my new role. i am a mother and i love it. the title of mother doesn't encompass all that i am though. what about all the other things i am? i am glad i am home with audrey. i know this time of her being small is limited and i cherish the little coos and squeaks she makes when she smiles up at me. i can't imagine how hard it would be to drop audrey off to someone else and not be able to love her and cuddle with her thoughout the day. today was just a long day and i am glad tomorrow is tuesday.

11 comments:

Monty said...

you are the best mother baby could ever have. i love the look of complete adoration when she looks at you.

The Zak Family said...

I understand those feelings, Julie! I've been a SAHM for over 6 years. I can tell you that those empty, lonely, day-that-will-never-end feelings will eventually fade. You'll soon find yourself running all over between errands, playgroups, preschool, Kindergarten, and beyond. I now, with 3 kids, sit back and wonder where my days go! I now miss those endless days as I never get those anymore! The cycle of life...:-)

Rachel said...

I feel ya, sista. Monday sare hard for me too.. UGH.. another week. I am here to say though, once you get used to it, you will be shocked at how fast time flies. Long days, short years for sure. Hang in there! You shoul have called me!

Thelissa said...

I have lots of days like that too, (where I wish it was my day of to work somewhere), especially when my kids are fighting or into everything! Truth be told though, I'm glad to stay home with them. I remind myself of all of the crap I used to put up with at work and it makes me feel better.

zealygirl said...

Days like that are hard. I'm glad you were able to think of some things to do to help the time go by!

The Rose Family said...

Trust me-- it's super hard to leave your baby with other people and know that you have to go some where else. I had all last weekend with her and hated Monday because it meant taking her to daycare. she doesn't know the difference, but I hate that it takes her a few seconds to remember who I am. I am missing all her awake time, only getting a couple of hours in the evening and maybe 45 mintues in the morning. I do appreciate having something to focus on other than dirty diapers and feeding times. I guess it's hard either way-- but you are doing great!

Melissa said...

Julie-When I was home with just Trey as a baby I had those kinda days all the time. I was desperate for Todd to come home some days just to have an adult to talk to. Now with 2 the days so by much faster. As soon as Audrey learns to walk and talk a little you will be busy! You should look around for a list of the FREE kids stuff going on during the day. Like mommy and me and story times. I know she is a little young but at least it gets you out of the house and you will meet other SAHM’s that are looking for the some thing. I’m now working on Wednesdays and as much as I like to get out of the house I have in a weird way become a home body and the thought of having to leave the kids tomorrow makes me sad. One day a week is nice but it’s weird how you get so use to being with them 24/7.
Melissa
BBC

Brooke said...

Everyone else has already said it, but I will just back them up. There have definitely been times that I kind of wished I worked too. I had those feelings a lot more frequently when Jocelyn was Audrey's age...now it's few and far between. Audrey will be busier, and so will you, and the time to think about working will get shorter and shorter. My job is mom for now, and boy it sure is tough some days, but I know I am doing what Todd and I feel is best for Jocelyn and it is working for us, so I'm taking advantage of it and hope it can continue!

GustoBones said...

Mondays are hard, I am sorry you had a hard day!! It gets easier and easier to fill your time and very soon, Audrey won't sleep as much during the day, but it doesn't make those slow moments go any quicker.

Josephine said...

I remember that feeling when I was on leave, and those days seem like they'll never end! Hang in there. You truly are lucky to be with her all day. Just get some mommy time for yourself. :) It's super hard to leave B. every day when I come to work! You're doing great. She is a beauty!

Heather C. said...

You perfectly described my feelings when I first became a mother. I felt a little like I was mourning the death of myself. It took awhile for me to redefine myself, maybe re-invent is a better word. It's an art to incorporate your old self into your new role, and as we all know Jules, you are an artist :) You'll figure it out, with style I might add. It's true.