Tuesday, October 14, 2008

gender stereotyping

my sister rachel told me her husband had started reading "the female brain" and i found this interesting because dave read this (or parts of this) book when i was pregnant. i read a few chapters as well and found it interesting but also found it interesting that when she reinforced each stereotype she did not note exceptions to that stereotype.

i have thought about gender role stereotyping a lot the last few days. i am definitely setting audrey up to be a girly girl. everything she owns is pink (with a few yellow and purple exceptions) and we even call her "princess" as a nickname. i don't know that she will like pink when she is older or if she will be a little princess or if she will be a tomboy, but for now she is immersed in all things girl.

in "the female brain" the author, Louann Brizendine starts the book off by telling the story of a patient who gave her little girl a toy truck instead of a doll. one day she walked in on her daughter rocking the truck and saying, "don't worry, little truckie, everything will be all right."

I found this story fascinating. Though this isn't hard proof that the girl's brain was wired for nurturing as she could have been shaped by other influences, it supports the author's idea that "there is no unisex brain."

I think about my childhood. i remember dressing up in my mom's slips with my sister and walking up and down the sidewalk humming the tune to "here comes the bride" and hours and hours of playing barbies. i also remember dancing around the room to showtunes like "annie" and "west side story" endless times. i liked cabbage patch dolls and my sister collected porcelain dolls.

my older brother was sandwiched between two older sisters and two younger sisters and flexed his muscles in every picture taken of him for the better part of a decade. his favorite movies were the rocky and rambo movies and he played with GI Joes and transformers. these are the movies and toys he liked despite having sisters singing showtunes and playing with dolls constantly. though this is how my brother was, there are boys out there that play with dolls because they look up to there big sisters and think that is cool. i don't think it is "against their nature" to be nurturing too. it is pretty fun to see how gentle and loving my little nephew is with baby audrey, he sings to her and cuddles up with a blanket while he "reads" to her, this is the same nephew that loves to crash his cars off his toy chest...

it was interesting to read the about the differences in the male and female brain. i just wish that she would have recognized that there are exceptions to each stereotype. she did say that child development was both nurture and nature but each of her examples were based only on gender stereotypes.

it was interesting, just not interesting enough for me to finish. it just seemed to be written from too narrow a point of view for me.

7 comments:

Thelissa said...

I think this stuff is very interesting as well. I have a friend who did similar to the story you related. She is not a "girly" person and she didn't want to direct her daughter that way. She said as her daughters personality developed there was nothing she could do about the fact that her daughter WANTED the princess stuff and WANTED a dolly, etc. It really is interesting. On the flip side I think there are lots of things we DO "program" into our kids, and are socialized in. Really fascinating subject!

zealygirl said...

Boys and girls are DEFINITELY different, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yet another reason to protect marriage, and thereby gender!

Unknown said...

My daughter certainly isn't very girly, but then you know that. But I have to believe that a person is who they are before they are born and there's nothing you can do to change that. But I wouldn't have her any other way! I love my tomboy girl who spits at dolls and plays in the mud with snakes and lizards!

Rachel said...

As soon as Jeremy started reading this, I read some reviews on Amazon, and many people had your same complaint. Felt very narrow and stereotypical, but I think that he has really enjoyed it anyway. I think this subject is a fascinating one.. I love dthe "little truckie" story you told me about.

emily said...

simply fascinating! my senior project for my undergrad was all about gender roles. and a lot of it is subjective opinion, you're right :)

..::k.toms::.. said...

I think it's neat that both your husband and Rachel's is willing to look deeper into the ways of female thinking. Even if it is a little biased of a book. Loved the little story of the girl and her truckie. And hearing how JJ is with his "baby Audrey"!

MomOf4 said...

Having a girl and two boys, I can definitely see a difference between the sexes. What I really love is that because I have both a girl and boys, I can see the influence they have on each other. My boys LOVED my daugter's doll strollers. They would give their TRUCKS a ride in the strollers whenever they had a chance! My daughter also appreciates toy cars and trains and plays with the "boys' toys". :)