i know i haven't been around much lately. my posts have been brief and mainly pictures. it isn't that i haven't had anything going on, just nothing i really wanted to post about. growing up i would usually only write in my journal when i was sad or upset so i have a few journals that just read of my sorrows and "learning experiences" and i don't really find them uplifting to read. even when i read past entries of my blog when struggling with infertility i feel sad for myself. i don't want to feel sad for myself. i want to be glad and grateful for everything that i have and everything that i have learned...but, i don't want to only record the happy times either so i guess i need to make a concerted effort to be glad and grateful for the little joys and happy moments during the hard times and try to record a good sampling of it all.
after my grandpa proctor died, my grandmother gathered all of the grandchildren at his grave and gave us each a slab of petrified wood. each one was beautiful and had shimmery lines all throughout almost like stripes...anyway, she told us that the shimmery (this is not the technical term, haha) parts were where the cracks in the wood had been. it was not only the most beautiful part of the petrified wood but also the strongest. i have always loved this because it seems sometimes that some people float along and enjoy a life of ease. good times and noodle salad and others (me, namely) face struggle at every turn that does seem to leave cracks in our soul and in our happiness on our mortal journey. i love the idea that these experiences will leave our souls stronger and more beautiful even though it does not feel that way initially.
i know that everyone has their fair share of trials and time is the great equalizer when it comes to pain and struggle and you never know what someone else is dealing with but when you are in the midst of a trial it does seem like the universe has singled you out for misery.
my husband was recently laid off and my little family has moved into my parent's basement apartment. the funny thing is, for several months my husband and i have been talking about moving to virginia and he had been looking for job opportunities here when kind of suddenly (not altogether out of the blue, since he works in the mortgage industry but the company dissolved the mortgage servicing part of the company without warning) became unemployed. i am very proud of my husband. we have been here for three weeks and he has received two great job offers. i am not surprised because he would be a great asset to any company but in this economy it is amazing that we have been so blessed to have him find employment so fast. i have been pretty emotional since we have been here and audrey and i have both been sick and have not been sleeping well so i know it has been rough on him but i am so proud of him and how hard he works for our family.
my parents have been great too. we have eaten quite a few dinners with my family and my parents have watched audrey a couple of times so dave and i could get out together and have some alone time. it is truly a blessing to live rent free and have a place that we can still have time with just our little family.
the last two days with dave working have been rough. my little audrey has not napped well (if at all) and is still congested so mama hasn't gotten a break. i miss having dave home...he has never worked so late in the evening before and i know that he comes home tired after a long day at work and an hour commute.
we have so much to be thankful for. i am thankful dave is employed. i am thankful we have a place to live. i am thankful we have two working cars that have never given us trouble. i am thankful they have Michaels out here. i am thankful for many things, but i am missing friends and family in salt lake and feeling lonely for dave and feeling a bit displaced at the moment.
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Posted by pinkmorning at 8:40 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I appreciate your post and hope you don't mind me pontificating on it! I appreciate the fact that you have shared that you are struggling. I think there is a mentality that it is "bad" to admit that something isn't going right. People put up such an impression that they live in and all inclusive resort all the time. It is hard to keep up with and hard when I struggle to see a whole bunch of people who appear to have not trials. Does that make sense? When we can't admit about ourselves that things are not perfect, it actually outs pressure on others to keep themselves looking perfect as well. In addition, if we can't share our trial, no one can help us make them better. I have no idea if I am making sense. I guess what I am trying to say is thank you for sharing and please know you are not alone in having trials. This will work out for the best! Really, have faith, it will!
Thelissa
You write so beautifully Julie! I loved the part about the petrified wood. So true. The Salt Lake folk miss you too!
WOW Jules, I had NO idea, I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised, because I'm not so good at keeping in touch, but MAN!!!!! "Cheer up Charlie" Trust me, I FEEL your pain, we are wondering what happened to our "former lives" as we like to call them, and wondering just how long we can really HANG on!!! Of course we have PLENTY to be grateful for, but I'll be honest, I'm about out of pep talks for ME and my husband due to this crashing economy. Carry on, right?????? Keep us all posted, will you!!!! :) SMILES xoxoxoxoox
Julie-- you are so positive and I enjoy your posts. I too have been struggling with a baby that won't nap and is totally congested. Not fun at all. I can't say that I understand exactly how you feel, but I do feel for you. You're in my prayers.
--Rachel
My sister and I had a conversation recently about something similar, how some people have a barrage of trials and others just don't. One thing that came out of that conversation was that maybe the real trial for those 'without' trials is their tendency to be selfish and heartless people with no depth and no ability to empathize. I'd rather have the struggles and pain than be the shallow person I would be without them. Your Grandmother was so right, it's the difficult things in your life that make you the most beautiful. Hang in there.
Post a Comment