Monday, March 3, 2008

twenty years

my dad died twenty years ago today. i have been a little down today. i went to work late because i was not feeling well so i decided i would drop by and visit my dad's grave. when i got home from work dave met me at the door and told me he was taking me out to dinner because this was an important day and we needed to celebrate my dad's life. dave is so thoughtful and aware of me. i cannot express my love and gratitude for him. i have tried to think about who i am today and who my dad is to me. i have also been filled with love for my siblings. on my dad's headstone it says, "we will live and love better because you were here" and every time i read that i get emotional because of my dad's influence in my life. i got emotional today because i was thinking about our little baby girl that is coming soon and how she will never know my dad in this life. i like to think he is holding her now though, telling her the stories that he once told me and showering her with love.

sorry the picture is blurry, it was taken with my camera phone and we didn't have any sunlight, we were in the shade of the trees.


here is a picture of the flowers i brought from all his kids, i picked these flowers because they seemed so bright and happy.


dad holding my baby brother thomas

9 comments:

Ashley said...

as I said to Laura, I grieve with you, even so many years later. thinking of you all today!

Monty said...

your father is always with you.

Rachel said...

Thank you for your tribute. I have been thinking of this tragic anniverary all day as well. Thanks for leaving those flowers. I love this picture of Thomas and Dad... I think JJ looks so much like Thomas there!

Jessica Potter said...

Those are some sweet pictures. Your dad has a presence in your everyday life and I am sure he has sent Audrey your way.

Miss Bear said...

I know how you feel Julie! Losing a loved one as precious as a parent is hard..but living your life knowing you can see them again makes the journey easier!!

shauna said...

He must have been absolutely amazing because you are all so amazing. I broke my heart to read Laura's post, and then I read yours.

Thinking of you all...

MomOf4 said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He must have been an amazing man.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

What a truly touching tribute to your father. There is no doubt in my mind that your little girl already feels his love and will forever know his loving legacy.

xo,
Jane, Pinks & Blues

Joy said...

What a nice post about your dad. How awful that you had to lose him at such a young age. I am positive that is up there preparing your little girl to meet you!