Wednesday, July 25, 2007

keeping up with the jones’ blog

I am new to this blogging thing. I have been blogging for about two months. I started this blog as a journal with the intention of recording my thoughts and feelings about the world and my place in it. I did this for myself. I find that writing is therapeutic and helps me to center myself when I feel off kilter. I was hesitant to share my blog because I feared I would unintentionally commercialize it and may end up feeling the need to censor it for a particular audience. I am a perfectionist, and want things to be the way I want them. I did share my blog with my family and then I have been slowly branching out as some of my friends have started blogs, or started sharing them with me. I also find interesting blogs as I wander around in blogworld. The perfectionist in me is very critical of my blog, the writing isn’t good enough, the stories aren’t that interesting, no one reads it anyway, and it needs improvement. I see blogs that are so appealing to the eye, blogs that are so witty, blogs that are done by professional writers and I feel that mine is inadequate. I need to do more, be more funny, be more smart, be more entertaining…this is how I feel in my own life, so it would only make sense that my tendency toward perfectionism would seep into my blog as well. Last week the fabulous ladies at pinks and blues awarded me with the blogger reflection award.



I was utterly amazed and close to tears when I read the paragraph they had posted about me on their blog. It is so incredible to me that people even read my blog, let alone really listen to what I have to say. There is something so validating in it. It makes me feel like what I have to say matters, i am important and the experiences in my daily life are significant. Thanks pinks and blues for making me feel like my blog is okay and that it is being read. I no longer feel the need to go out and have a bumper sticker custom-made to read: "my blog is just as good as your blog…"

17 comments:

GustoBones said...

I love reading your blog and hearing about what is going on in your life. I am happy that you got this award. It is always nice to be recognized.

Rachel said...

I want the same bumper sticker.. but to put on my computer that says... "Post what's in your heart" because I feel the same censorship coming from my mind. I love your blog.. and nominated you for antoher award.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I know how you feel about putting everything out there and thinking that others are doing it better... but you absolutely inspire me with every one of your posts! Thank you this beautiful post, and for all of your beautiful writing!

Jane, P&B Girls

Ashley said...

i so feel your pain. i fail to post a lot because i feel that so many others have so much more interesting things to say (and say them in a more interesting way) than i do. if one post gets more comments than the others i feel that i need to be more interesting, more witty, more reflective in the next post... etc. plus with all of the cute headers and layouts out there, i feel dumb for not knowing how to make my blog look good... blah. comments from my online buddies (like yours :)) do make it worth it, though:)

Josephine said...

Awesome job!!

P.S. Just curious what your DH thinks about all the Tour doping stuff going on! Another big news break today. TTYL.

lindsey said...

Congrats on the Reflection Award, you really deserve it. Everything you write is always so thoughtful!

Monty said...

i love reading your blog...

pinkmorning said...

thanks everyone for reading my blog. it makes me feel like what i have to say matters. it is a nice feeling.

josephine - DH is floored by it...honestly it was such a shock to him...

Ashley said...

the chips are parmesan garlic ;)

katie said...

yea julie! your blog is so cute and full of life and wisdom. i need a crash course for dummies on how to even add a pic in the right place. wish you lived closer! have a great weekend. TTYL! and again, thanks for always being an inspiration and support! love ya

shauna said...

I love your blog because it's so honest and genuine. I'm glad you got that reward! I worry about my own blog and how it "measures up" all. the. time. Thanks for the reminder that writing for yourself first is the most important thing. I think then your blog will be better simply because it's coming from a real place. Happy Blogging!

Josephine said...

I can't get through to your hotmail address, so I just wanted to say I'll send you an hpt monday :-) want a target opk, too? (or do you use that brand?)

Monty said...

looking forward to our date today...

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I just wanted to say thank you for your comment on our blog about my beloved Bismarck.

And that picture of you and your grandpa is adorable. I am so sorry this week is a reminder of his passing. I hope it is also a remembrance of his love.

Jane, P&B Girls

Sharon - Mom Generations said...

Oh Julie... I am so glad you were happy with the Reflection award... I absolutely love reading your blog. I love that I know your sisters out there... and I love your honesty in all of your posts. It's so refreshing. You are a great writer... you have a very special way that you write... and I feel as though I know you. My husband laughs that I have all these "blog" friends... he thinks it's great. And I am so happy to have you among them. Keep it going girl!!
xo,
Audrey
P.S. - Your post about Bizzie on Jane's blog was precious, thank you for that.

Nesting Momma said...

congrats! Love your blog..will be back!

Monty said...

i got a fever! and the ONLY prescription is more bloggin'...what's goin on?