Monday, July 16, 2007

everything happens for a reason

Newton’s third law states: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. I know that this is a law of motion, but doesn’t it seem like it is a law of intangibles as well? For every action, word or thought, there is an equal consequence…at least that is what the whole world conspires to tell you about life from the time you are a small child, maybe even from the time you are born…good guy always wins, good things come to those that wait, those that work hard find success, those that don’t play fair will be punished, etc.

Sometimes when life’s blows seem a little too hard or too frequent I can’t help but wonder, “what did I ever do to deserve this?” What action, thought or word of mine merits this extreme consequence? This past weekend was another tough one for me as I was nauseated beyond belief, dizzy and exhausted, and cut my date to dinner with dave short because I couldn’t handle the sight of food. Life is so very taxing right now but I keep moving forward, even though it seems I am on a backwards escalator and all moving forward does is keep me from falling further down below. One of the “inspirational” quotes that I find most bothersome is this: “Everything happens for a reason.” Who came up with this one? And more importantly, why did it stick? As human beings, we want to believe that there is a purpose for everything because we can’t stand the idea that life could really be so random and cruel. There isn’t a cosmic reason for everything. We try to make sense of loss and pain because then we have a way to grasp it and can control, at least in part, our response. We tell the story to ourselves in a way that makes it easy to digest, giving it that spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down…we can’t handle the fact that life is harsh and cruel and sometimes, there is no explanation.

6 comments:

GustoBones said...

I hate that saying, "Everything happens for a reason." It is so trite! Besides, I think sometimes the reason seems to be to make us miserable. I am sorry you had a tough weekend.

The Rose Family said...

I agree with you on that whole "for a reason" diatribe. I've heard that a MILLION times and have grown to hate it. The other one that I hate is "If it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger." More like "If it doesn't kill you, you're gonna wish it had because it still hurts like crazy." That's a slogan I can get behind.

Hope your week turns out better than the weekend did.

Josephine said...

That comment should be on a list of what not to say to a woman who just lost a baby. I heard that so often and wanted to poke out peoples eyes! Take care, doll.

Twice the blessing, plus one said...

I full heartedly agree with you on everything happens for a reason....I hated that comment after my loss...everyone who had been through a m/c knew not to say it, but those who have no fertility issues would say it for a lack of words. I often wonder what happened to the simple hug....or smile...but after a loss it seems to go away. I found talking with older women who went through many losses the best therapy, and not being afraid to talk about my loss helped even more. I am sorry that you had a rough weekend...if I could sit on my couch and be right there for you, I would pass on a hug and a smile, in hopes that you know there are those that understand. I see brilliant rainbows in your future. You are a very stong women, and have everything going for you! Thanks for "listening" through cyber world, and "talking" when I need a friend!

shauna said...

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time. I agree with you on that one, and I also hate the whole idea that in the middle of adversity it gets easier if you discover what you're to learn from the experience. I'm sure there's some wisdom and truth to that, but when you're aching inside, a little soul-searching is the last thing you feel like you can do. I hope your cyber-buddies can help you feel loved and supported in this tough time. Hang in there...

Beanie said...

I think what keeps me holding on when things really hurt is just knowing that I am loved by God and that he personally isn't inflicting things upon me. I wish I could be right there with you, my Jules.