Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"did i ever tell you how lucky you are"

in the movie "breakfast at tiffanys" the main character, holly golightly talks about having the mean reds and how the thing that cheers her up and takes her to a better place is getting into a cab and going to tiffanys, the jewelry store. today i was having the mean reds and something that cheers me up is reading children's books. dr. seuss is a particular favorite of mine. there is something about the simple truths, fun rhyming schemes and fantasy worlds that he creates that makes my heart smile and i feel better.

this excerpt is taken from today's choice of after-work reading:

"he sat in a terribly prickly place.
but he sang with a sunny sweet smile on his face:

When you think things are bad,
when you feel sour and blue,
when you start to get mad...
you should do what I do!

Just tell yourself, Duckie,
you're really quite lucky!
Some people are much more...
oh, ever so much more...
oh, muchly much-much more
unlucky than you!"

thanks for giving me a new perspective dr. seuss

4 comments:

GustoBones said...

Good post. It kinda helps put things in perspective.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

I love that except. I do hope it put a sweet smile on your beautiful face!

I am so sorry you are going through the mean reds. You just do not deserve it. You are in my thoughts.

Jane, P&B Girls

Josephine said...

That's adorable. And Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my faves. Another one of my faves is breakfast from McDonald's...I think that's my new craving!! (Or maybe I should just eat breakfast!) Thinkin' of ya. ;-)

shauna said...

I love Dr. Seuss. I copied down a couple quotes of his just yesterday. This one I love!

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”