Thursday, June 7, 2007

"let me call you wheatheart" and other favorite songs




i adore music. i love all different types. today i was searching for some of my old favorites, the songs that take you back to yesteryear...the ones that are reminiscent of a more innocent, joyful time and i did a search for "let me call you sweetheart" on itunes and was surprised when the search yielded no results...i then looked at what i had typed in the search field. I realized that instead of sweetheart i had typed wheatheart and i laughed out loud. my sister laura used to sing this song with the enthusiasm and joy of a young girl without the S. it is one of our family stories that is always remembered with a sweet poignancy. it wasn't until i read "let me call you wheatheart" on the computer that i realized why i love this song so much. i love this song because i love laura so much...and when i hear it i picture her in her "do it with gusto" t-shirt and coke bottle glasses singing it sweetly to express her love for her family. it is funny how a song can be a vehicle to take you to a different place in time.


about eighteen months ago i was spending some time with my nana at my aunt rosemary's house. it was about a week before christmas, and i had been reading her some of my favorite christmas stories. i could see she was getting tired and had become bored with television, so i put on a dean martin cd that i had packed in my purse to play for her. the cd had not been playing for long when my nana reached for my hand. she had a look of peace and contentment that i had not seen in her in quite some time, and though i never have met him, i could feel my papa in the room. dean martin isn't what made my nana happy, it was being taken back to being with my papa that made her sparkle. some of the songs i love are my favorites because of who and what they represent to me.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

I love those songs too. We need a fmily album, don't we.

GustoBones said...

What a sweet post. I love you too. I loved being the second oldest and even though I was "mostly she's busy", I love hanging out with you. I remember that time when you were being "bad to the bone" and you had borrowed levi jacket and stuff, do you remember that? One of the hardest parts of being gone on my mission was not being with the family. You guys had gotten bigger and had tons of life-shaping experiences while I was gone.
Yhanks for the sweet words!

Rachel said...

YOu weren't always "mostly she's busy".. I am glad I had two big sisters like you two!

pinkmorning said...

likeastar- had, you still have us as sisters silly girl...

lindsey said...

Hey Julie!

Thanks for the comment!

It's very coincidental that I was reading your post "wheatheart" while listening to "Beyond The Sea" by Bobby Darin. Also very innocent song!

Music is definetly a big part of my life. It seems to inspire me, take me to different places in time, and also creates memories for me. Thanks for reminding me how much music means to me.

I am going to keep reading your blog now, and if you don't mind I would like to add you to my list of blogs, you're thoughts and stories are very entertaining!

Beanie said...

How well I remember that little Laura who sang "Let me call you Wheatheart" and called Santa Claus, Sanna Lause. She was always such a family girl.
Thank you, dear Julie, for your tender words.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

What a sweet story! I love how music can connect us with others on such a meaningful level!

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

selfstarter said...

Loved your post. I love that song. I sing to Madison every time I put her to bed. So the other day at Pre-school the teachers were asking the kids about their favorite songs. Madison quickly said that "Let me call you sweetheart" was her favorite, and that her dad sang it to her every night. I got a little misty when I heard that.