Friday, June 22, 2007

empty arms...

I am once again awake when it seems the rest of the world is sleeping. it is quiet, and this is the time i reflect on things...i hear the crickets outside my window. i read yesterday that crickets are a good omen...i hope so. today was a hard day for me. time was dragging on at work and i started to have some pain in my abdomen...while this is common for me, today it was a little more intense and i breathed slowly and prayed that time would speed up so i could go home and rest. dave and i had planned to go to the gym again after work, even brought our gym clothes with us so we wouldn't have to go home first, but by the time five o'clock mosied up to us, i was doubled over in pain. dave did not think working out was a good idea, so we stopped to pick up some dinner and headed home. i have taken percocet and tylenol pm and they have not helped to ease the pain or induce sleep. when i am in physical pain it is much harder to deal with sadness, add exhaustion to that and you have a recipe for the mean reds(breakfast at tiffany's is one of my all-time favorite movies)and in addition, tomorrow is the day our baby that we lost in december was due. i think emotionally i have been feeling better each day, but i am still struggling with my health and it doesn't seem to have improved much at all. I go in to take some blood tests on tuesday and i am just praying that everything will be okay and we can get some information on what is happening...i love babies, i always have. i have loved babies since i was a baby. here are a couple of my favorite babies(even though they are not babies anymore):

summer of 1982 holding baby rachel, i'm almost three and now i am a big sister
- quite certain she is the first baby i ever held



thomas is born. i distinctly remember that rocking chair and how each child in our family took their turn sitting in it to hold my baby brother...and i remember the moment he was placed in my arms for the first time. i remember thinking how special that moment was and that i had to be very careful because he was a new baby...


today my arms are empty. it is hard to think about what might have been...it feels as though i am constantly being subjected to tests of my strength and courage. i look forward to the day when i will be holding my own baby, but for now i enjoy the memories of babies i have loved and taken care of and the wonder and joy of seeing who they have become. oh the possibilities that life holds for each one of us...

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Julie- I am so sorry about your pain, sleeplessness, and sorrow. I love the picture of you holding me. I love you so much and have since I was that small. I hope you know that I am hear for you.... endlessly.

GustoBones said...

Julie, what a hard day to face. The what-if possibilities can be heartbreaking. I am sorry that it is such a painful time. I love the pictures of you holding Rachel and Thomas, they are sweet. I wish I was there to help you through this hard time.

shauna said...

I'm sorry this is such a tough time for you. I don't know you personally, Julie, but you're in my thoughts.

Ashley said...

sad, beautiful post... praying for you today!

Ashley said...

i would love to be linked :) I'll do the same.... your blog has definitely become a favorite! :)

Josephine said...

Sorry about your angelversary...I hope it was easier than anticipated. (The two milestones I've passed so far were easier than I thought they'd be...HTH.) I hope you're feeling better today.

(And thanks for nominating my blog. I put a link under a new section in my blog to this page here...let me know if that is OK!) :o)

Josephine said...

Did I forget to say what a CUTIE pie you were as a toddler?!

selfstarter said...

Julie,

I am sorry for your pain. I wish there was something I could say or do that would lighten your load or ease your pain.

Know that we love you and pray for you.

Love the pics.

PinksandBluesGirls said...

Hugs to you. All I can say is I am so sorry and I know how difficult this weekend must have been for you. You will be blessed with your own little bundle of joy. Just know that you are being sent warm, peaceful, healing thoughts.

Jane, P&B Girls

MomOf4 said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I had a miscarriage 5 years ago, right before I became pregnant with my now 4 year old. It is difficult on so many different levels. The one thing that bothers me to this day is that I didn't know if the baby was a boy or a girl. I still pray for my lost baby and know we will meet again one day. I am praying for you. You are not alone.