So I am again failing to find sleep and I just walked into our spare bedroom in search of a book to read when i came across the framed art piece that was broken today when Dave bumped it off the wall…I found it odd because I had completely forgotten that it had happened at all.
Dave took the day off work and we went to lunch with my parents, my brother and my nephew and then to see Shrek the third. The frame had been broken before we left the house to meet for lunch. The reason that this struck me as strange is that a few months ago we had hosted a dinner for Dave’s family and I had pulled out our nice glass water pitcher that dave had purchased for me while we were engaged and the day after we used it, but before I had the chance to put it away, I bumped into it and it came down and cracked, the handle broke off and in one fail swoop I had ruined something that was valuable to me…this was not a little thing that I forgot about…this is something that caused me stress, something that I berated myself for, something that made me feel bad all day until dave came home from work and I confessed and started crying. Dave, being the amazing husband that he is, went out with me that evening to drive to several different stores in search of a new glass water pitcher to replace the one I had broken earlier that day. We were looking for hours and didn’t make it home to eat dinner until about nine in the evening and we came home empty-handed…of course we didn’t find a pitcher as nice as the one I had broken…
When I looked at the framed art picture tonight I realized that I had forgotten about the broken glass immediately following today’s accident, but had let the broken pitcher that was caused by my accident let me feel bad about myself. What was the difference? Was the pitcher more special than our framed art? No, that was not it. I would like to say that I have learned a lot about life since then and while this is true, I have learned quite a bit, that was not it either. I realized that I am hard on julie. I expect no less than perfection from myself. I think about what I tell Dave…that stuff is just stuff, and he is what is important to me.
For Christmas one of the gifts Dave purchased for me was a beautiful new glass water pitcher from Macy*s and it is far nicer than the first one that I broke, and i love it...but I don’t know that it was the pitcher that I was frantically searching for that day after I broke it. I think it was forgiveness. I think it was acceptance. I think that I just wanted to restore what was lost to me in the intangible sense, the part of me that I beat up and expect so much from. I wanted to find a new pitcher the day I broke it so that I could let myself off the hook. I need to pull out that glass water pitcher more often, because it is beautiful and I should use it and let it be a reminder to me of how much easier it is to replace material things that it is to restore my self acceptance.
Saturday, May 19, 2007
no use crying over spilled milk, or should i say, broken glass...
Posted by pinkmorning at 2:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We had a gorgeous crystal pitcher that we were given as a wedding present. We were married only a few months and Scott broke it. I still miss that pitcher, but I have never taken the time to replace it. I think it it interesting how you said you didn't give it a second thought when Dave had done the breaking, but how you beat yourself up about your accident. Aren't we always our harshest critics?
Jules,
I love your blog. It is always insightful and searching. I started life as a perfectionist and have consciously sought to be easier on myself, because I think perfectionism paralyzes one. You become so worried that you won't do the perfect thing that you are afraid. Fear becomes a regular companion. Thus, I always hoped that my children would learn to be a little easier on themselves. When any of you broke things when you were little, I always just said, "Those things happen." I have come to see in myself that perfectionism is a refusal to really take the atonement seriously. Life is full of errors, mistakes and growth. I'm grateful that I am loved by the Lord even though I cannot be perfect or even very adequate. I love you.
Beautifully said!
Post a Comment