Thursday, May 7, 2009

oldest baby ever to be swaddled

okay so my little princess is 9.5 months old and still needs to be swaddled tight in order to fall asleep and stay asleep. i have tried several times to break her of the habit but always resort back to swaddling so we can all get some sleep (especially because she has been sick). i no longer feel comfortable with her being swaddled though. she moves around too much and rolling over is her favorite thing to do so i feel it is dangerous to keep her swaddled in case she rolled over in her swaddle. i am listening to her cry right now. i have gone in a few times to soothe her and put her binky back in but it only keeps her calm for about five minutes. i would appreciate any tips on how to de-swaddle a baby. i know if i went in their and bundled her up and put her binky in her mouth she would turn her head to the side and fall right asleep. i am prepared for a few sleepless nights while she is learning but i would love any suggestions to make this transition easier for her. i just don't think she feels secure without being swaddled.

last night she fell asleep in her high chair at dinner and when i picked her up she wouldn't even lean on my shoulder even though she was sleepy (she has never been one to lean her head on her mommy or daddy's shoulders, she wants to have her head upright even at her most exhausted) so i know it is going to be difficult to teach her to sleep on her own. i will keep you updated.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I have heard that you can start swaddling with one arm out, then two, then keep swaddling more loosly (is that even a word?), until they no longer need to be swaddled. Do you think that the swaddle is a sleep cue for Audrey? Maybe starting a bedtime routine (if she doesn't already have one) would help. Bath, Pjs, story is our ritual.

Another idea: When Jocelyn was 9 months old I had to teach her to get herself to sleep because she was dependant on nursing to sleep (all through the night) and I used the Pick-up, Put Down method in the book "The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems." It sounded crazy, but I tried it and by the third night Jocelyn was sleeping through the night all on her own. Maybe it could help with Audrey too, even though it's a different situation. It's NOT a CIO method, which made all the difference to me.

Good Luck!!

GustoBones said...

My kids never really liked to be swaddled. I don't have any advice, but I do hope that you can figure something out. It is so hard when it is time for sleep and your little one doesn't cooperate.

Jennifer said...

Neither of my boys liked to be swaddled but maybe you can try the blanket sleeper or halo sleeper...not as tight but maybe the soft cozy feeling would help her. I also resorted to a blanket with my youngest and he can't sleep without it now. He literally cuddles up with his face laying on the blanket and all under him and through his arms....maybe you can her her a blanket that feels the same as the material of the swaddle. Good luck and let us know what works.

Natalie said...

I was going to make the same comment as Brooke. Do it gradually. Swaddle her leaving one arm out for a few nights and then eventually take both arms out.

I actually still use the Kiddo around Sydney's belly while she sleeps, but more as a blanket than a swaddle.

The routine is a good idea too, so you can do the same thing but just omit the swaddle. Sydney also has a blanket she sleeps with so she knows its bed time.

Good luck!

Melissa said...

Maybe try putting her down on her belly?? By now they are old enough to roll around so I think belly to sleep is "ok", Savannah has alwasy been a belly sleeper.

Melissa

Jessica Potter said...

I have zero suggestions. I am a lame Mom. Hope you figure it out though! Miss ya!